Introduction to Linux
The list below is short, well, because there is way too much information available on Linux on the web; so much actually, that it might be confusing from a newcomer whose aim is not to "learn Linux", but to just find out, in the shortest possible amount of time, how to get Linux to work for him, and not get in the way of his basic goal: be a physicist.
- RedHat Enterprise Step By Step Guide (local copy)
in particular Chapter I.4, Shell Prompt Basics
- Original on RedHat web site
- On all the PSI Linux PCs, you can get the locally installed copy from the Applications menu, Documentation
At this point you can proceed to the Programming Tutorials.
If you need to know more, for example to be able to install linux on your own PC, or if you had the misfortune of being charged with the System Administrator role, some good starting points are:
- RedHat Enterprise Manuals a very complete set of manuals, good for Scientific Linux
- The Linux Documentation Project Manuals, HowTos etc etc
and the more specific Scientific Linux pages in this wiki.